A critically ill young woman in El Salvador may have to decide between jail and a life-saving abortion, according to a new report from Amnesty International.
The 22-year-old woman, identified only as Beatriz, is four-and-a-half months pregnant but could die if she doesn’t get an abortion, per the report.
Beatriz has been diagnosed with several illnesses, including lupus and kidney disease, Amnesty wrote, and her baby is missing a large part of its brain and skull and would likely die within hours or days of birth.
Abortion in El Salvador is a black-and-white issue. According to the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life, abortion in all cases is illegal in the Latin American nation — even when it could save the life of the mother.
In 2006, The New York Times noted that in the “movement toward criminalization, El Salvador is in the vanguard.” The Times continued thus:
El Salvador … has not only a total ban on abortion but also an active law-enforcement apparatus — the police, investigators, medical spies, forensic vagina inspectors and a special division of the prosecutor’s office responsible for Crimes Against Minors and Women, a unit charged with capturing, trying and incarcerating an unusual kind of criminal.
Salon reports that Beatriz’s hospital petitioned El Salvador’s Supreme Court a month ago but is still awaiting a ruling on the matter.
“Beatriz’s situation is desperate and must not wait any longer. Her very chances of survival depend on a decision from the authorities,” Esther Major, Amnesty International’s researcher on Central America, said in a statement. “The delay is nothing short of cruel and inhuman.”
Between 1997 and 2008, 17 countries broadened their grounds for when a woman can get an abortion, according to a recent report published by the Guttmacher Institute and the World Health Organization. By contrast, El Salvador, Nicaragua and Poland made their laws more restrictive.
A woman died in October after being denied an emergency abortion in Ireland. In April, an Irish jury found doctors at the University Hospital Galway failed to adequately care for Savita Halappanavar, according to the Associated Press. The case has shed light on the confusing and contradictory abortion laws in predominantly Roman Catholic Ireland, according to the Times.
I do not give two shits who you are, what your faith is, or where you live in this world.
When you willfully champion the life of the unborn at the expense of those already born, even when the unborn may not even live long enough to see their first birthday, you are NOT pro-life.
You are pro-birth, pro-mandate, and pro-fetus.
That is not being noble for the sake of others.
That is being a terrible human being with an unyielding moral agenda which is void of compassion.
Yes, North Dakota, I’m also looking at YOU and your frigging six-week abortion ban.
Fucking moronic as hell.
- ihavecreepydreams reblogged this from theangrygypsy
- reveriedunjour reblogged this from choosechoice
- homoandmyparentsdontknowmo reblogged this from impalastoysoldier
- elascalza reblogged this from choosechoice
- arienncia likes this
- callheralice reblogged this from choosechoice
- sharpshooter07 reblogged this from wolfymcbubblehorn
- sharpshooter07 likes this
- geretschlaeger likes this
- ribbonsribbonslalala reblogged this from glitchguardian
- ribbonsribbonslalala likes this
- phangirlpenguin reblogged this from choosechoice
- traceandmemorize likes this
- kaela-amber-rose reblogged this from sherlockholmesinthetardis
- mageofmalarkey reblogged this from sherlockholmesinthetardis
- glitchguardian reblogged this from dicksp8jr
- itsgonnabelegenwaitforitdani reblogged this from dicksp8jr
- circleofhorrorterrors reblogged this from dicksp8jr
- sherlockholmesinthetardis reblogged this from dicksp8jr
- paulinectarine reblogged this from carcinostuck
- awkward0w1 reblogged this from dicksp8jr
- awkward0w1 likes this
- drowsyfantasy reblogged this from samsamandsam-archive and added:
- marchcronus likes this
- wolfymcbubblehorn reblogged this from dicksp8jr
- pygmyhufflepuff reblogged this from samsamandsam-archive
- carcinostuck reblogged this from dicksp8jr
- samsamandsam-archive reblogged this from dicksp8jr
- samsamandsam-archive likes this
- impalastoysoldier reblogged this from dicksp8jr
- longlivethefallen likes this
- comtessedebussy reblogged this from dicksp8jr
- dicksp8jr reblogged this from choosechoice
- sailorshockmouse reblogged this from choosechoice and added:
- etheleato reblogged this from against-pollution
- etheleato likes this
- ravingsofabitch reblogged this from choosechoice
- that-fucking-feminist reblogged this from choosechoice
- 320smokeitlightly reblogged this from choosechoice and added:
- ani-u reblogged this from choosechoice
- do-it-now-regret-it-later reblogged this from choosechoice
- ryleeelainesheart reblogged this from choosechoice
- ereminiscanon likes this
- sketchy96 reblogged this from yuyayunka
- yuyayunka reblogged this from choosechoice
- yuyayunka likes this
- against-pollution reblogged this from choosechoice
- choosechoice reblogged this from theangrygypsy
- moramcwaters likes this